I'm Yuka, I'm 22 and I live in the UK! I'm a cosplayer, and this year I have the honor of being part of Team UK for World Cosplay Summit 2013! Last year I was also part of the 2012 UK Team for European Cosplay Gathering. I might post some progress pictures here, but most of it will be over on facebook, so pop over there if you're interested in seeing more!

I mostly post about cosplay (surprise), video games, movies and music that I like, and about funny conversations I have or things that happen to me. Things that I often post about include: Final Fantasy, League of Legends, Pokemon, Harry Potter, Sailor Moon, Firefly and Scott Pilgrim.

I like receiving asks so feel free to message me! I'm also happy to answer any cosplay-related questions, so if you want any help, critique or tutorials give me a shout. But please check the FAQ in case I've answered your question already! :D

 

Hey I hope this tutorial makes sense, if you have any other questions feel free to drop me an ask!

Figure 1 (wire frame)

First of all, I made the base shape of the Handmaid horns out of armature wire. Getting them to curl into a shape that made sense actually took quite a long time and was probably the second most frustrating part of making these. I decided to go with a shape that would mimic the spiral shape of the original reference when my head was turned to the side, rather than the literal interpretation which would look akin to bizarre troll-mickey mouse ears on either side of my head! lol

After I was happy with the shape, I covered it with expanding foam. This was tricky because it would fall off the wire, so I had to do this in a few different stages by only working on the bottom part of the horn that was touching the newspaper at a time.
 

Figure 2  (tape and tinfoil)

At this point, I ran out of expanding foam and since it’s expensive I bulked up the rest of the horns with tinfoil. Then I wrapped it all in masking tape (I used an entire roll for each horn) to cover any holes and to flatten any lumps, and to help keep the tinfoil compacted against the horn.

At this point, the horns were still flexible to an extent, so I was able to bend and twist them a little bit more to get the right shape on them.

Next, I covered each horn with 1 packet of 250g fimo air dry light each. Once this dried, I wasn’t able to bend them any more without cracking the fimo, so make sure you’re happy with the shape before you start putting it on! I was skint when I was making these, if you have a little bit more money I would highly recommend buying 3 packs of fimo air dry light instead, I really could have done with a third packet to cover up some of the thinner parts.

Figure 3 (fimo layer)

This is just a close-up of the horns after the fimo dried. As you can see, the texture is really bumpy.

Figure 4 (sanding)

This was the most frustrating part of making the horns- sanding them. Oh my god the spiral shape is SO hard to get my hand around to sand these properly!! Anyway, in this pic you can see the difference sanding makes, the horn on the left hasn’t been sanded and one on the right had been sanded for maybe about 30~60 min. I think I went OCD and sanded it even more after I took this photo, though.
 

Figure 5 (painting)

One thing I’ve learned with cosplay, is that your paint job is important and you shouldn’t rush it. A good paint job can cover up a really shoddy prop job, and conversely a bad paint job can destroy a really well made prop. This was just the first undercoat of paint.


Figure 6 (gradient)

Once I had a base coat of the colours down, I mixed a fixed a few intermediate colours and dry brushed them together to get the gradient you can see here. Personally I prefer the block colours for the younger troll horns, but on the super long ancestor horns I think the gradients can look really pretty. Go with whichever method you prefer!


Figure 7 (wig alteration)

And finally… wearing this damn thing. I didn’t mention, but at some point during this I used electrical and duct tape to attach my wire frame for my horns to two pairs of headbands. To counter balance the horns (which are SUPER light, btw!) I used a really thick piece of plastic (cut from an old notebook from school) and made like… a bill cap to stop the horns from slipping forward. Anyway, the rig to keep the horns on my head looks stupid as hell so I had to cut up my handmaid wig to get the horns underneath, and then carefully sew it back together afterwards.

NOTE: There are alternative methods to cutting your wig. For example, creating a hair piece that you pin over top of your headband to cover it, or making the horns detachable from the headbands with screws and screw plugs, so you just poke the screws through your wig mesh and then attach the horns on top afterwards.

Finally once it was all done, I sprayed the horns in a few layers of clear matte spraypaint to protect the paint job from Britain’s lovely weather, and voila!! Done!

Anyway I really hope this helps!! And send me pictures of your horns and your cosplay if you use this tutorial, I want to see what you make!! :D <3

(Source: yukacosplay.com)

  1. plumfragments reblogged this from yukapants
  2. seerofcosplay reblogged this from yukapants
  3. princessmikachu reblogged this from yukapants
  4. homestuckcosplayfor2 reblogged this from yukapants
  5. stripedaria reblogged this from yukapants
  6. homestuckcosplayaid reblogged this from yukapants
  7. queenofkarezi reblogged this from tulipi
  8. spamanobutts reblogged this from tulipi
  9. tulipi reblogged this from yukapants